Naresh Trehan back on duty at Escorts hospital
May 20, 2007 - 4:58:55 PM
New Delhi, May 20 - Renowned cardiologist Naresh Trehan was back in the premier Escorts hospital Sunday doing his usual rounds a day after the Delhi High Court stayed his ouster from the hospital.
'Doctor Trehan is very much here since morning and doing his usual rounds,' said a receptionist at the front desk. When asked if the management gave any instructions to the staff regarding Trehan, the receptionist said that they were not told anything as of now.
'His cabin is intact,' he added.
Tension prevailed when Trehan - removed from the post of executive director late Friday - was not permitted inside the hospital Saturday. He however forced his way in.
After a police complaint by the hospital against the cardiologist for misbehaviour and then the high court staying the order after he was prevented from entering the hospital, Trehan was back on duty Sunday.
'He will stay here,' said a determined Madhu Trehan, his wife. Roaming around the hospital with a friend, she said that no one can remove her husband from the hospital.
'My husband had signed a contract with Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre - which doesn't not get over until 2010. There is a hearing Aug 6 but I am sure that he is here to stay,' Madhu said.
Narrating the support that the Trehan has got from doctors of the hospital, she said that on the night of his removal from the post of executive director nearly all the doctors of the hospital descended upon their house and said that they would resign if Trehan was removed from the hospital.
'But that's not easy you know. There will be many forced resignations,' she said.
According to one Richa Misra, whose uncle had been Trehan's patient, 'Escorts is synonymous with Naresh Trehan. He is one of the best cardiologist we know.'
Ramesh Mehra, a patient, observed: 'He is good, no doubt, but these days he hardly carries out the surgeries himself. The few that he does are all high profile cases.'
Fortis Healthcare, which acquired 90 percent stake at EHIRC in 2005 for Rs.5.85 billion, Friday announced that Trehan had relinquished office as executive director of EHIRC.
Stating 'a conflict of interest', which was a reference to Trehan's Rs.10 billion Medicity project in Gurgaon in which he is reported to have a personal stake, as the reason behind the falling apart of him and the management, Fortis managing director Shivinder Mohan Singh said that their relationship has now ended.
To this, Trehan simply said that his patients remain his priority and he will attend to them instead of quitting.
All rights reserved by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited ( www.rxpgnews.com )